CURRENT EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
The Box Office Co-Managers ensure the accurate, friendly, and efficient operation of the BCT Box Office while providing services to ticket-purchasing patrons, visitors to downtown Bloomington, and promoter partners (artists, organizations, or companies presenting events at the BCT and across the community). Co-Managers report to the Associate Director and are responsible for supporting box office staff with training on ticket sales procedures, visitor resources, organizational policy, and box office operations. This position is also responsible for some of the Buskirk-Chumley’s outreach efforts, especially using email to promote upcoming events and communicate with volunteers.
The ideal candidate would be outgoing, detail-oriented, interested in working in a team environment, and committed to helping students learn and succeed. This position shares many responsibilities with a co-manager, requiring intense coordination, cooperation, and a commitment to the systems we use to track details. This position will require eventual mastery of Ovationtix (our ticketing system), TimeCounts (our volunteer management system), Constant Contact and MailChimp (to manage our email communications) through training and self-motivated learning. We also use WordPress to update our website and work extensively in MS Excel. A demonstrated ability to adopt new systems quickly and to efficiently manage a sometimes hectic environment is essential.
The Box Office Co-Manager is responsible for:
- Providing direct customer service to patrons (20%)
- Training and supervision of student staff (30%)
- Providing effective, efficient, and friendly assistance to promoter partners (20%)
- Coordinating the organization’s outreach efforts (30%)
$16.16/hr starting salary
scheduled for 29 hours per week, some weeks will require more hours
scheduling flexibility required, this is not a good position for someone who has other firm commitments such as daytime classes
A manager must be scheduled in the box office seven days a week so flexibility is required to cover the other manager’s vacation and sick time whenever possible. Occasional evening shifts may be required especially during times when student staff is unavailable, such as IU breaks.
access to subsidized health insurance coverage
9 paid holidays annually
After successful completion of three-month probationary period:
paid sick time
access to free tickets to shows at the BCT
After one year:
matching retirement contributions to a SIMPLE IRA
The application deadline for this position has passed. Applicants will be contacted if more information is needed.
BOX OFFICE ASSOCIATE
Only IU students approved for federal work-study funding are eligible for these positions.
- A semester-long commitment to the weekly schedule. The number of hours per week varies by person, depending on work-study award amount, but seven to ten hours per week is typical.
- Availability for weekend shifts.
- An outgoing and upbeat attitude. You will be handling a great deal of patron interactions.
- A commitment to quality work. We can only hire self-motivated individuals.
- Interest in working as part of a team.
- Promote events and provide ticket-sales services to our patrons.
- Welcome and orient visitors to downtown Bloomington.
- Gain expert knowledge in area attractions and amenities.
- Develop the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people.
Rebecca Stanze, Associate Director
Resumes and cover letters are accepted on an ongoing basis, but most hires are made at the end of the spring and fall semesters for the following semester.
These positions are unpaid, although academic credit and partial work-study funding is possible.
- A minimum commitment of 20 hours per week for the entire period of May 1 – Aug 31 (up to 40 hours per week possible)
- An ability to work day shifts, evenings, and weekends. The schedule is varied, but established in May for the entire summer.
- An outgoing and upbeat attitude. You will be handling a great deal of patron and promoter interactions.
- An ability to manage lots of details. You will be responsible for the safe and successful execution of events.
- Being responsible and organized. Timeliness, dependability, and self-sufficiency are the keys to success in this position.
- Staff the BCT Box Office & Downtown Visitors Center:
- Promote events and provide ticket-sales services to our patrons
- Welcome and orient visitors to downtown Bloomington
- Gain expert knowledge in area attractions and amenities
- Develop the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people
- Serve as house managers for events
- Work on projects in assigned administrative areas
- Learn how a presenting and community venue operates
- Meet and work with artists and arts organizations of all types, from nationally-touring performing artists to local community groups
- Earn important work experience and references for future job searches
- You come ready to work and learn about the industry as a whole.
- You take your work for the theater seriously. A strong work ethic is a MUST.
- You are willing to work closely and well with a team.
- You are excited about the opportunity to see the inside of the presenting world.
Anne Stichter, Event Manager
Resumes and cover letters are accepted on an ongoing basis, but summer hires are generally made in February/March.